The Gaastra Phantom
The Phantom is the cambered sister of the Savage and the little brother of the Vapor. It features 7 battens and 3 cambers and a moderately wide mast sleeve. A Drop tack makes it easy to close the gap, drop clew with outhaul pulley and pronounced cross batten drop are standard features for this high performance sail.Two big race cams and one small cam at the foot batten lock in shape and stability. The Phantom much like the Vapor have an aerodynamic boom cutout closure with neoprene to keep water and air turbulence away. The top half of the mast sleeve is made of KI05 aramid laminate, which is light and strong and due to its flexing properties produces our SAS system (Shock absorption system), a dynamic twist that absorbs the chop and produces instant acceleration. This sail is more than capable of winning races!
Gaastra Phantom R&D Details
The Phantom underwent the same diet as our other hi performance sails. We reduced width of some reinforcements around the perimeter of the sail and reduced the length of the mini battens, all taking off ounces of unnecessary material without affecting function or durability. The inset clew has been replaced by a high performance dropped clew at the cross batten. Similar to the evolution of the Vapor, the twist down low in the leech has been enhanced to get a more progressive and smooth behavior and the profile at the front cambers is increased to make the sail pull more from the front. “I modified the angle of the top battens to stabilize more the head of the sail. I cut excessive roundings off the outline making the head and foot of the sail more straight”says Peter. Radial panel layout and colored UV resistant C-Film complete the attributes of the Phantom.
Gaastra Phantom FACTS
• use of C-Film // for better durability and performance
• Radial Panel Layout 2G// improved layout for perfect and locked in sail shape, smooth profile, twist control and durability
• 3D EVA mast protector // for maximum shock-absorbing and minimal weight
• 3D mast head protector // for maximum shock-absorbing and minimal weight
• dropped clew -// shorter boom, improved lower twist
• SAS (Shock Absorbing System) // with K105 material allows the rig to flex under high loads at high speeds
• neoprene closure of boom cutout // for advanced aerodynamics
• four composite tube battens
• two race cambers, one small camber-smooth rotation, rock solid stability
• Dynamic twist pattern -// smooth behavior and blistering acceleration
• Moderately wide multi material mast sleeve -// same construction as Vapor
• Drop tack with tension strap -//100% race sail performance
Rig and Rip! The Phantom is tuned and ready to go straight away. Easy to rig and fast to blast. Watch out racers, the Phantom is coming.